Sunday, September 19, 2010

Five Things I Love About Country Music


(This article was submitted by Oasis)

Mainstream music in the Philippines doesn't really include American country, that's why it might be unusual for you that a Filipino can be a fan of this genre. I have to admit, I cared less about this type of music especially that I used to equate it with boring Kenny Rogers karaoke music which I heard one too many times sung in barrio fiestas. No offense to Rogers' fans, but for me, my appreciation for contry music came after the phase in my life when I thought R and B music was everything that good about music (think about R Kelly's "Thoia Toing" or "Ignition" or Maroon 5).

Fast forward to late college when I began hearing Christian lyrics in "Jesus Take the Wheel" or songs that hit home with "Don't Forget to Remember Me", both by Carrie Underwood. I cared less about country, but these songs made a huge country fan of me right now. I am a Christian and as much as possible I wanted to be fed with Christian, if not positive lyrics - luxuries that you don't usually hear in Top 40 radio typically fogged by Lady Gaga or Fifty Cent. It is for this reason that I made a deliberate decision only to include positive music in my MP3 players - and country music easily fit this mold.

Let me share about you the aspects of country music that I like:
1. First and foremost, it sings about being positive and down-to-earth. Country artists usually came from the part of America where farms and fields abound – well the country. Where people are surrounded and bound by the simplicities of life - away from the bustling metropolis but civilized enough for people to have good quality of life. Therefore, you might not be surpised that some country songs talk about faith in God. To illustrate, think about Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton's, "When I Get Where I'm Going"; Underwood's "Jesus...", "So Small", "Temporary Home" and a host of secular inspirational songs, Rascal Flatt's "God Bless the Broken Road", Lady Antebellum's "Hello World", Martina McBride's "Anyway", Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" and a lot lot more. Country music really scores home base with songs that feature human positivity and the incredible faith in the Almighty. That's why I love this music, because it is mainstream, yet it allows its artists to sing about God. Genius, right?

2. Second, it has poignant songs about home. This I truly treasure about this genre because it is fit for empowered adults who are and who try to be successful in life, but are rooted in the internal values formed from ones childhood. Kind of like myself. It is easy for me to relate to music about nostalgic childhood memories like in Miranda Lambert's "The House that Built Me", of bygone childhood carefree days like in Brad Paisley's "Letter to Me", or the longing for the simplicity of the good ole country-side life such as in Flatt's "Mayberry" and Underwood's "I Ain't in Checotah Anymore". Being someone who spent countless childhood summers in the country-side and having practically lived in a small town, these pieces are very easy to relate to and somehow uplifting.

3. Next, country music offers the most sincere love songs ever written. This music is well known as a music wherein the artist narrates a story. And what greater story to tell but a nice, heartwarming love story. I am not a fan of Taylor Swift's format, but I appreciate her writing shops and good use of instrumentation in her album, but I'm not just talking about her "Love Story" to prove my point. Even heartbreak songs here are so poignant and good, you could feel your chest heavying to the heartbreaking story even when you're lovelife is flourishing e.g. "Like We Never Loved at All" by Tim Mcgraw and Faith Hill; and "Someday When I Stop Loving You" by Carrie. And the sincerity of real love waits are captured in the following love songs, "History in the Making" by black country artist Darius Rucker, "Then" and "Everything" by Brad Paisley which are excellent serenade pieces, "Here" by Rascal Flatts which thanks the Lord for allowing the universe to conspire for two people to share love; even about real, passionate, heartfelt love-making in Flatt's "Melt". Of course, who would forget George Strait's "Run", Faith Hill's "Breathe" and (sige na nga) Swift's "You Belong with Me".

4. If Christian positivity is not enough, there are sincere motivational songs that are really, well moving: "Stand", "I'm Moving On" and "Unstoppable" by Rascall Flatts; "Lessons Learned" and "Play On" by Carrie Underwood; and a host of other songs.

5. I love the instrumentation of country music. The rifts of the fiddle, the guitar strumming, string instrument plucks are simply astounding accompanied by the twang in country artists' voice which they are characteristically famous for.

From the songs mentioned, you bet I could make a compendium album already. I can go on listing songs and rationalizing why I appreciate them, but this might bore you already. The abovementioned themes might be covered by the other genres, even candy-coated in synth pop or auto-tune, but by far, only country music captures the sincerity and heart of life issues that pull a number of heart strings. I will be redundant if I say, that after so much glorification as above, this music is the best genre there is, or at least one of the best products of imperial America. But even that is an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment